WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 0:42 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 15:32 pm 

I wasn't able to find some of the KM items I've wanted, so have produced a small range of items to meet my own needs. They include gold-wire woven KM officer rank lace (both the wider 16mm and narrower 9mm), some flatwire breast eagles on dark blue; pale yellow cotton breast eagles on dark blue, and embroidered EK1 on navy blue/black.

The eagles are patterned on original Belgian-made examples and are extremely accurate.

I'm really happy with the rank lace. I had been using 14mm modern stuff and it just didn't look right. 2mm doesn't sound like much but it's very noticable when you put the two side by side. Plus the pattern of the weave is correct!

The embroidered EK1 is pretty cool although it's based on a photo and I have no idea if these were ever officially sanctioned or were just unofficial, privately-made items. Looks great on my jacket and I don't have to worry about it falling off or getting hung up on things.

Here are the above items in position on one of my Volksmarine jackets. I'm still having my Bundesmarine jacket modified to have an additional button hole added.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 'Heia Safari' DAK Living History Group.
Hi there,

Brilliant pics and you have done very well indeed by producing your own gold officer's braid, it looks superb.

With regard to the cloth EK1's, they were used, albeit rather infrequently and unofficially. They were produced to prevent the metal ones snagging onto machinery in enclosed spaces.

There is a famous photo of Wolfgang Luth wearing one on his BD jacket, but they were mainly used by U-Boat crews on their BD's and a little less so by panzer crewmen. I have never seen one on a reefer jacket as they were formal wear, the metal version officially being preferred attached to those.

With your one, and if you don't mind me making a suggestion, if you are going to keep it on your reefer jacket it might be an idea to trim off any excess as the overall item looks too 'square' in the pic. It's supposed to be sewn on looking its true 'cross' shape.

I have also noticed that you appear to have the Matrose shirt-sleeve version 5-pointed stars attached to your cuffs above the braid. Sanjay of Replicaters actually manufactures the correct style officer's quality gold embroidered cuff stars at about $3 per pair and they would be more appropriate for your reefer jacket.

I hope you don't mind me making the above suggestions?

Best wishes,

Kevin.

'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:57 pm 

Hi Kevin,
No worries. The braid, eagle and EK1 were just sitting on the jacket in this photo -- i.e. for placement only. The Seestern is the one that came with this (Volksmarine) jacket. I have quite a few bullion Bundesmarine stars which appear identical to the TR-era version. I do appreciate your comments!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 17:37 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 'Heia Safari' DAK Living History Group.
FtrPlt wrote:
Hi Kevin,
No worries. The braid, eagle and EK1 were just sitting on the jacket in this photo -- i.e. for placement only. The Seestern is the one that came with this (Volksmarine) jacket. I have quite a few bullion Bundesmarine stars which appear identical to the TR-era version. I do appreciate your comments!

Hi Chris,

I see now, okay, no problem then.

Take and best wishes, Chris.

Kevin.

'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540