WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 0:30 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: The 20th Century Revisited
'just thought I'd share a pic of my U-Boat kit, representing a member of a scratch Anti-tank unit in the Battle for Berlin, against the Soviet Forces.

The picture is taken next to a derelict building on some woodland I have.

I have amended my post on the very helpful information received from Hoover on this Forum. - thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re-enacting is for fun.

Last edited by Tartan_Smudger on Fri Feb 29, 2008 23:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:49 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AASI & 16PFA
That looks fantastic well done!!!!!!!

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:57 am 

Group: FallschPiBtl 5
Very nice, but I ever thought that Ali Cremer fought against the Brits in Northern Germany, in the Area of Soltau and Hamburg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 15:08 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Hoover wrote:
Very nice, but I ever thought that Ali Cremer fought against the Brits in Northern Germany, in the Area of Soltau and Hamburg?

Korvetten-Kapitan Peter Erich Cremer (formerly of U-333 and Elektroboot U-2519 was appointed head of Naval Anti-Tank Command for the Battle for Berlin approx 4th May 1945.

I trust that clears it up. :wink:

Re-enacting is for fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 22:48 pm 

I am sorry, but that is not right. :(

Korvettenkapitän Peter Erich Cremer formed the Panzervernichtungsbataillon "Cremer" in early April 1945 in Hamburg. The members were U-Boat crews of the non-finished Type XXI boats in the Blohm&Voss Shipyard in Hamburg.

The Bataillon consisted of 2 Companies of 150 men each, lead by the kapitänleutnants Peschel and Thäter. Each Company were divided into 16 men strong Panzervernichtungstrupps. The fitst day of action waas the 13. April 1945, a Friday. The first day of anti tank combat was April, the 17th 1945, when one Panzervernichtungstrupp met a British tank unit of 15 tanks near Soltau-Hockel in the Lueneburg Heath.

The Britsh units could be the 8 Hussars or the 1 Royal Tank Regiment.
In the following days the Bataillon retreated to Hamburg and had some combat on the way.

In the German Newsreel Wochenschau it is said that the his men destroyed 24 tanks during the fightings, but Ali Cremer himself said in an interview in 1986 that they only destroyed 10 tanks at all, maybe 15. "all other numbers were simply propaganda" he said to a German military historian Oberstleutnant Saft.

One of the last actions of Cremers Bataillon was the attack on the little village Hoopte an 25. April 1945 which was lead by the Company of KaptLt Peschel. The company had only a strenght of 4 officers and some 90 NCO an men. The counterpart were a company of the 1 Herefordshire Regt and a tank troop with 4 cromwell of the Inns of Court (?).

The 4 German officers were Lt Niemann (with 18 men), OLt z.S. Fiebig (55 men) and Lt z.S. Ulrich Noack (20 Men).

The attack started very successful. The frist Cromwell was destroyed and burned by 2 Panzerfausts. The cesond Cromwell got Lt Fiebig, the third one was destroyed by a Gefreiter Köhl. The fourth were killed by an unknown soldier. In the early morning of the 26.04.1945 the Germany retreated back to Warwisch, only one soldier has been killed, Lt. Noack. British casualties are unknown yet, but i am working on it.

On 2. May 1945 the Bataillon Cremer was ordered to Flensburg for protection of the new German gouvernment. It was later renamed "Wachbataillon Cremer" and was located in Plön.

He went in British captivity on 23.05.1945 and was released exactly 4 weeks later. Cremer died in 1992 on cancer in Hamburg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 23:25 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Sir, I thank you for the posting and your very thorough information. I will amend my research notes. This info I got from a Kreigsmarine website.

Actually, your information fits better to my portrayal.

Many thanks,

TS :wink:

Re-enacting is for fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:03 am 

By the way, there were some other Kriegsmarine Panzervernichtungsbataillone in April/May 1945.
The former U-Boat commander Korvettenkapitän Carl Emmermann (Eichenlaub-Träger) commanded a 150 men strong unit, formed by -Boat soldiers in Bremen who waited for their Typ XXI boats. He defended the Elbe-Trave channel and retreated to the north after the British Elbe crossing near Lauenburg.

The most interesting thing with his unit: They were not completely outfittet in field grey uniforms, a lot of his men fought in their green U-Boot-denims or even in the blue regular Navy-uniforms!