WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 15:08 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Converted MGC MP40's
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 14:58 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 101st Abn LRRP
Hi everyone can anyone give some clear facts on the converted MGC68 MP40's. I,ve heard that after a while they rattle themselves to bits and yet other folks have said thir conversions are still ok after rattling thru 20'000 rds of 9mm para.
Can anyone clear up some of the myths.
Thanks
Chris

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 15:47 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
It would depend on how well the conversion was done. In this case you get what you are prepared to pay.

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 17:34 pm 

Depends on how well the MP40 has been done.
On the poorer converted one's there is no or little form of reenforcement to the gun. These one tend to be the ones that blow apart and dont stand the test of time.
The quality ones tend to be much more sturdy. Things to look out for.
Reenforcement ring, is inside of the reciver, this stops the reciver bulging wehn firing.
At the back of the MP40's where the sling threads through, this can sometimes have a piece of metal going through it which is welded to the back of the gun on either side, near where it says MGC 68 [ dont know the name of the part]. This stops the back section from blowing out.
On the cheap conversions a lot of the time the old aluminium ejection post is left in place. This can and has been known to break. Again on the more well converted one's the old one has been removed and a new one of steel can be put in place and there is no risk of that breaking.
The last one, which you dont see on many at all is the barrel section. On a lot of the blankfiring MP40's i have seen the orignal barrel is left in place, and the gas vents from the side of the chamber. This can put more pressure on the gun as the gas has less distance to vent and is therefore making a bit more blow back which can put stress the gun.. and on some where the orginal barrel has been left in place the barrel can be unscrewed, which obviously isnt going to impress the police at all..
With the better conversions the old barrel section is done away with and a new one made of steel is pinned in place. Not only does this prevent the barrel from being removed, it also allows the gun to be able to vent out of the barrel instead of out of the side of the chamber, which gives the gas more distance to vent and creates far less blowback for the gunand at the same time isnt as in your face as the side venting ones.

Personally some of the conversions i have seen i wouldnt touch with a barge pole. Two examples both at beltring. One i looked at, unscrewed the barrel and there were to two 2p coins helping hold the barrel section in place! I did also see a MP40 fire about 5 rounds before the back section blew out.
At the end of the day all depends on how well the gun has been converted. If it has the four main reenforcement's done,

metal reenforcement near the sling loop.
remade barrel.
reenforcement ring inside of the reciver.
and ejection post.

If it has them then brilliant thats a good quality conversion that will last. However if it doesnt have any or at least one of those personally i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole as that will be the one that will fall apart on you.

IF YOU GONNA BE ONE BE A BIG RED ONE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:51 am 

Group: Second Battle Group
Further to Glen2's posting.

The ring is in place to stop the gun flying apart. The takedown pin wont lock in to the reciever as per an orig because the reciever is so thin. What happens is the takedown pin hole is hammered to an oval shape and the gun flys apart.

1/3rd of the MGC's have an aluminium end cap in them. That is the reason I put the reinforcing strap round the back end. You cant weld steel to Ali.
If its a steel endcap I weld it into position with hidden welds.

The above makes for a strong reciever setup to support blanks.

As to venting its a matter of balance. You only need so much of the bang to push the bolt back to eject and load another round.
So, you increase the vent hole size if you are using stronger ammo than usual.
To much bang overloads your recoil system. Your recoil system is always trying to push the back end out of you gun

An example of vent sizes being 3.5 dia vent for a winmag, and 3.8 vent for a red tip.

There is virtually no difference in vent hole size between venting out the side of the reciever, or venting out the front of a new made barrel.

The ejector post will last about 4-5K rounds before its knackered.

Symptons for this failing are fired cases jammed between the bolt and the chamber face, and a live round half chambered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:01 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: 101st Abn LRRP
Thanks to you all for some solid advice there!!!

Post subject: Re: Converted MGC MP40's
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 19:26 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: 16 Parachute Field Ambulance
Hello all!

I have a MGC68 and was thinking of getting it converted to blank, who would people suggest for a reliable, quaility and trustworthy service?

Cheers
Danny

Remembering the 36th Regiment of Foot, Herefordshire Militia, Herefordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, Herefordshire Regiment, Hereford Light Infantry, Light Infantry and the Rifles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 19:36 pm 

LancEng156 wrote:
Hello all!

I have a MGC68 and was thinking of getting it converted to blank, who would people suggest for a reliable, quaility and trustworthy service?

Cheers
Danny

PM "Ringer" on this forum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 20:24 pm 

Hi all,I,m in the process of buying a converted MGC68,although its a blank firer i,ve been reliably informed that it does not have the back strap welded,it does havea metal ring inside i,m getting it on loan,then if after its been checked and had any mods done,i.e.welded etc, i can pay for it,has anyone got a pic of a welded one, so i can see whats needed

cheers
Wull

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:49 am 

Quote:
Hi all,I,m in the process of buying a converted MGC68,although its a blank firer i,ve been reliably informed that it does not have the back strap welded,

Back straps are only welded on if the end cap is made of Ali.

Quote:
it does have a metal ring inside i,m getting it on loan,then if after its been checked and had any mods done,i.e.welded etc, i can pay for it,has anyone got a pic of a welded one, so i can see whats needed

Take the side covers off and have a look and see if there are welds holding the end cap to the lower frame. There should also be a weld running along the spot welded seam on the LHS I think from memory.

If you have those welds, the ring fitted, and a 3 piece (as opposed to the orig MGC 2 piece) recoil assembly, you are good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:17 am 
2000+ Poster

Group: pathfindergroupUK
only shoot winimag, it will last longer !

Dutch B Wing Para course June 24 2010
Driel DZ holland, Sept 18th 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtF47xPBIv0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:50 am 

Tom Gow wrote:
only shoot winimag, it will last longer !

Not true, it will last just as long on whatever blank you choose to use, as long as you ensure the vent size is correct for the blank you are using.

A rule of thumb, for a top venter, 3.5mm vent for winmag, and 3.8mm for red tip.

you should have said only shoot winmag as its more user friendly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
steve wrote:
only shoot winmag as its more user friendly

Quite, it will only remove a part of the digit you place over the top vent. :D

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 18:41 pm 
Supporter

bigwull wrote:
Hi all,I,m in the process of buying a converted MGC68,although its a blank firer i,ve been reliably informed that it does not have the back strap welded,it does havea metal ring inside i,m getting it on loan,then if after its been checked and had any mods done,i.e.welded etc, i can pay for it,has anyone got a pic of a welded one, so i can see whats needed

cheers
Wull

http://s217.photobucket.com/user/sadbun ... =40&page=8

these are some pics that i took of 1 i had before i sold it the other year
i left the pics up on the internet for reference at a later date

Last edited by sadbunny on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 am 

Group: Second Battle Group ( Flak 38 Section)
i have 2 MGC MP40 and i use red tip on both of them, from what i have been told the steve goodmans converstions are about the best, having said that i know of someone who has had 3 MGC converted to blank firing. and only 1 works realy well the other 2 tends to jam
if you can buy from someone you know how has a good firing mp40 and check the welding to strenthen the back end

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 am 

Group: none
does anyone know if a Denix MP40 (all metal can be converted to either blank or pfc firing??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:56 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Dont even think about it.
You will hurt yourself and destroy the gun.
They may be 'all metal' but it's rubbish metal, think Dinky or Corgi cars. Not designed to take the pressures of firing blanks.
It is perhaps conceivable that you could strengthen one enough but the time and effort would not be worthwhile and would certainly mess with the look.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."