WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:30 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 20:11 pm 

Corporal Bang wrote:
Seems like even the Capitalist Americans like playing with Comrade Shpagins toy!! :D

Yes, we love them. I am going to get oen soon...I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope.......

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 0:58 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: ACES, CONTRAILS AND UNSUNG HEROS.
Have used both sticks and drums in the field and must say sticks are easier on the wrists as the gun balances better and doesn't put a strain upon said wrists. Believe me after a day of drumming it you will know what I mean.

As for the MP40 mag conversions? I have two for sale, repros, and Koslov as seen them. I believe Koslov thinks they are correct and if you want one? mail me for a price.

Better still ask Koslov first for an unbiased opinion, I'm sure he won't mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:33 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
How are you holding the weapon? (fnar, fnar :wink: )

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 19:27 pm 
1000+ Poster

When firing; gun is best jammed in tight against the body preventing wrist strainage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:37 am 

Group: Second Battle Group
Nu Pogodi wrote:
I found this whilst trawling around the net - decadent Yanks playing with the sacred tools of the Motherland's defence!

Rather good clip though - as you will see...

http://www.ppsh41.com/ppshmgp.MPG

Very impressive watching the brass ejecting from the top.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 22:37 pm 

That looked great. Was it done with live rounds or with a blank firer. The PPSh certainly looks to be more controlable than any 9mm I've ever used on full auto. Perhaps there is some sense in using a 7,62 bullet after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 22:57 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
Thats live rounds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 23:26 pm 
3000+ Poster

While the 7.62x25mm is a lighter round it actually develops similar energy at the muzzle to the 9x19mm round because it has more oomph, so to speak.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:28 am 

Yes, but the 7,62 Tokarev also has a smaller bullet and a tendency for overpenetration, so it has less stopping power than a 9x19 mm Parabellum.

You can find a lot op PPshs here:

http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/85/135745.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:20 am 
1000+ Poster

Overpenetration? Stopping power? Ever seen anyone with a bullet wound? This stuff about them fighting on is pure hollywood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 13:52 pm 

It is true that an extra hole in your body isn't a good thing, but still a 9mm bullet from a KP44 will make more severe wounds than a 7,62 bullet from a PPS43.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 14:50 pm 
1000+ Poster

A hole is a hole is a hole....

Little wounds preferable to big ones as they tie up medical and transport assets.

Seen a para size of a bull laid low by a fragment of shrapnel the size of a pea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 21:03 pm 
3000+ Poster

People are, usually, wrongly obsessed with bullet size (oo-err missus!) when, in fact, it's all about energy, and how much gets dumped in the target.

The first part is a factor of bullet weight and velocity. e.g. the Tokarev round despite being lighter than the standard 9mm military round carries about the same joules of energy at the muzzle because it's a higher velocity round. It also carries them further more accurately because of this higher velocity (MV of 1600mps versus the 9mm's 900mps, incidentally).

The second part is dependent on how long it stays in the target and that is affected of lots of things including shape of the bullet (both 7.62T and 9P are round nosed types so don't deviate much unless they hit a bone unlike rifle bullets), composition of the bullet, where it hits, the angle it hits at, what it encounters on its way through the body. So many variables in fact that it's pointless trying to argue it out.

All of the above brings us back to shabby's point.

When you're the guy with one stuck in you, presuming you've survived the immediate experience, it isn't going to matter one jot to you that the holes in you are 1.38mm smaller in diameter than what you're inflicting on the other guys you're going to be on the ground screaming for a medic.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 15:09 pm 

the soviet weapon systems such as the PPS & PPSH had through design or luck developed a weapon delivery system that altered the bullet trajectory which caused almost immediate bullet rotation in tissue. Effectively you are left with a temporary and then a permamnet cavity, both of these have cavity stretch (the medics on here will know more about it). this continued with the AK47 & 74 and was used with copper ammo in yugoslavia.

The wermacht & NATO had a 1 hit 1 kill delivery system whereas the soviets had a 1 hit 1 ball of snot scenario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 19:45 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
The 5.45x39 round for the AK74 family had an air bubble at the base of the bullet which caused instability on impact with human flesh.

Apparently this wasnt a deliberate effect, but a side effect of the design, which none the less means that a 5.45mm round causes more damage than the older 7.62x39 of the AK47 family....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 22:20 pm 

Smaller caliber bullets perform very poorly at extended ranges, that's why the US Army has been looking into switching to a 6,5 or 6,7 mm weapon. Especially when you need range you're better of with a heavier bullet and then .308 Winchester is more practical to use than 6mm BR.