WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:22 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 21:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Just wondering how chopped and welded these are? (In particular, the ones sold by Ryton Arms)

I've read that some new-spec deact PPSh-41's have a 'moving slide' - what is this exactly? Also, can the receiver be opened / can anything be field stripped?

Thanks,

Mark

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:44 am 
1000+ Poster

The front part of the bolt is welded into the breech but the rest is free to move.

You cannot however cock the weapon as they spot weld the sear down or I believe open the action for stripping.

Externally there is no difference. Obviously anyone buying a old spec version at the moment is gamabling with a lot of money and possibly inviting additional expense to carryout further work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:10 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
REME 245 wrote:
The front part of the bolt is welded into the breech but the rest is free to move.

You cannot however cock the weapon as they spot weld the sear down or I believe open the action for stripping.

Externally there is no difference. Obviously anyone buying a old spec version at the moment is gamabling with a lot of money and possibly inviting additional expense to carryout further work.

Tak Tochno Comrade as a prop, the a new spec Weapon System is within the laid down Scale of Norms. :D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:09 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
All of the ones from Ryton I've seen (including my own) do have a moving bolt (or a bit of it at least) and you can indeed unlatch the top cover and remove the return spring and what is left of the bolt.

What you can't do with it is to cock it (ie lock the bolt back on the seer), athough you can lock it into place by using the safety in the "cocked and safe" mode (something which I am told Soviet soldiers are told never to do as crawling around in the undergrowth will unsafety it really quite easily... their solution? It is safe when no magazine is loaded, loading the mag is only done when you intend to use the weapon!)

Also the ejection port cover is detatched from the bolt carrier and permanently welded over the ejection port. This means that when you haul the bolt back the ejection port does not open like it would for real.

Hope that helps!

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:46 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Andrei Kozlov wrote:
Hope that helps!

Very helpful. Thank you. :D

I don't usually do Soviet stuff, but I'm currently reading a history of the USSR in WWII and it's provoked a hankering for a PPSh-41 - arguably the iconic weapon of the Eastern Front.

I don't want something that is completely welded solid and old-spec's are probably best avoided for the time being.

Mark

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 17:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Tommy Atkins Society/GD Recon
i recently got mine but im having doubts its russian.it looks like the chinese typ 50! are there any sure ways to tell.it does have 1944 stamped on it but the stamps look to crisp compared to the rest of the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 21:40 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
If its Chinese there will be Chinese markings on it...

Show us a photo of the stampings...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 20:42 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Here's a link to some markings on Bill Berg's site.

http://www.ppsh41.com/markings1.htm

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 21:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Tommy Atkins Society/GD Recon
Frontovik wrote:
Here's a link to some markings on Bill Berg's site.

http://www.ppsh41.com/markings1.htm

cheers for that,going by the pictures i would say its russian,which is nice to know.thanks