WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:52 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: 30 and 50 cal Ammo Tins
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 22:31 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
I have a quantity of WWII Period Ammo Tins both for 30 and 50 cal weapons to restore.

They are very rusty but very usable, they may have at some stage been repainted, therefore can any one give us the heads up on what the original colour OD they may have been.

Regards

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:45 am 
2000+ Poster

if you come to a 2nd armored based event Im on I'll rubber stamp em for you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:05 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

jonheyworth wrote:
if you come to a 2nd armored based event Im on I'll rubber stamp em for you

Just need the correct color of the paint Jon, they need repainting regardless

Picture will do.

Cheers mate

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 17:09 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Is this about right in regards to the right OD!

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 18:20 pm 

spot on colour...i have 10 or 12 original 30 cal cans and several 50 cal cans
and they are all round about the colour of yours!
check links on A1919a4.com there is a yank site just on ammo cans
hope this helps
Dave :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 18:37 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

egdod wrote:
spot on colour...i have 10 or 12 original 30 cal cans and several 50 cal cans
and they are all round about the colour of yours!
check links on A1919a4.com there is a yank site just on ammo cans
hope this helps
Dave :)

Thanks Dave

Very helpfull mate, I now know where to get a very near match to this .

LB

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 13:23 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
I belive that early tins were not marked until late war when they were re-packed. I have a huge collection of .50cal tins and some colours do vary, the norm being slightly darker than the normal OD.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 13:32 pm 
2000+ Poster

they were always stamped with teh contents from new, re-painted and marked re-packed if returned for re-loading

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 15:29 pm 
1000+ Poster

According to some on this forum a while back on a similar topic and on the US military forum, .50cal cans were marked up later in the war. I thought that the yellow markings were the norm but apparently not so on war time cans. If that's the case and marking were used then i have a stencil that i bought from Beltring that i will use. Can anyone clarify if ammo cans were marked up during war time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 15:50 pm 
1000+ Poster

Found the info, both types of cans were only marked up AFTER they were re-packed and not as they came out of the factory, empty tins used for say training etc usually went back for repacking, thus marked. i believe they were loaded to a standard after a bit of evaluation and info gathering from combat experience, usually four ball to one tracer, correct me if i am wrong. I believe Bilko on this forum mentioned this to me before. As for the colour most of all my fifty cal tins are darker in colour. I will try to get a pic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 19:02 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

30thcammo wrote:
Found the info, both types of cans were only marked up AFTER they were re-packed and not as they came out of the factory, empty tins used for say training etc usually went back for repacking, thus marked. i believe they were loaded to a standard after a bit of evaluation and info gathering from combat experience, usually four ball to one tracer, correct me if i am wrong. I believe Bilko on this forum mentioned this to me before. As for the colour most of all my fifty cal tins are darker in colour. I will try to get a pic.

Pics would be excellent. I only have one 30 cal tin marked with yellow stencilling, others are plain. None of my 50 cal tins are marked.

Could you do a comparison colour photo between the 50 cal and the 30 cal, if you have originals of both?

Kind Regards

Lee

Regards

Lee

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 20:23 pm 
1000+ Poster

I will get some pics for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 22:48 pm 
Supporter

Group: FSSF
Stamping goes for bandoliers as well,Only on repacking..Any good vehicle paint shop can colour match..

I have Reeves can in the sale section..

Explain why you want the 50 and 30 cans the same colour?..In mfg paint changes due to various reasons, Same as when left outside to weather..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 22:58 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Bilko wrote:
Stamping goes for bandoliers as well,Only on repacking..Any good vehicle paint shop can colour match..

I have Reeves can in the sale section..

Explain why you want the 50 and 30 cans the same colour?..In mfg paint changes due to various reasons, Same as when left outside to weather..

Dave I dont want the tins to be the same color, my other ones are not, but apart from a couple they all seem to be repainted and I am not convinved they are right.

LB

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 23:13 pm 
Supporter

Group: FSSF
Also remember that,whatever substance the operative has been handling will transfer onto the paint.thus giving various shades [high lights and low lights]..Personaly i would paint all same colour[to cut costs],but leave some outside,spray wd40 on some and grease the rest.That will give them a varide and more interesting look..

looking at the pic you posted,How different is the internal colour to the outside?..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:14 am 
1000+ Poster

Thats a thought, I bought some .30cal tins from Ken Lewis years ago and found that the insides still had the original colour, only the outside was repainted. May be worth a look.